Our vision is to build an inclusive creative community rooted in our home in South Bristol our inspirational theatre will take people on creative adventures, nurture talent and provide life-changing opportunities.
Tobacco Factory Theatres is looking for new Trustees to join our board.
We want everybody to be able to benefit from the incredible creative experiences we offer. To do this we want to make our programmes and our spaces feel accessible, welcoming and relevant to all. We are thus committed to championing diversity and inclusion across our audiences, beneficiaries, staff and Board. An all-round approach to diversity and inclusion, led by example with governance, is essential in enabling us to achieve these aims.
The Trustees are responsible for the governance of Tobacco Factory Arts Trust. They are responsible for nurturing and developing the organisation in keeping with its charitable objectives. The Board meets formally six times a year and Trustees are invited to experience the organisation themselves through events and performances, so that they keep up to date with what’s happening at the theatre and make sure we are representing it to the best of our ability.
We particularly encourage applications from people who identify as any of the following: under 26, BAME, disabled, LGBTQI+, working class, living or working in areas of socioeconomic deprivation in Bristol.
As a trustee, you will be expected to:
- Uphold and promote our mission, vision, business strategies and values locally, nationally and internationally
- Offer advice, specific skills, experience and contacts where appropriate in order to support our activities
- Be a driving force for our mission and vision to create a truly inclusive organisation
- Review our strategic aims as a charity, and be involved with developing and updating these when needed
- Assist in the achievement and delivery of these aims, evaluating our progress where necessary
- Regularly review our policies and procedures, ensuring that they are in keeping with current legal and regulatory obligations
- Attend the six annual Board Meetings including preparation for these meetings and follow up work afterwards as required
- Attend Press Nights, Season Launches, Get Involved events and any other events and activities relating to Tobacco Factory Theatres
- Be offered training or development opportunities where appropriate
- Work effectively and responsibly as a team member of the Board
- Take an active role in any sub-committee or working group
- Protect the assets and integrity of Tobacco Factory Arts Trust with regards to best practice
- Attend shows and events at Tobacco Factory Theatres on a regular basis, taking a keen interest in our programme of both in-house and visiting productions
- Engage with our staff, funding bodies, Business Club members, audiences and the wider community
- Support the communication of our fundraising campaigns
- Fulfil any other duties or assignments required by the Board on an ad hoc basis.
Further information about this role can be found in the job pack to the right of this page. If you would like to know more about this opportunity, please contact Sarah Smith, Chair of Tobacco Factory Arts Trust on email@example.com.
Applications by: We invite applications before Fri 13 December 2019. Please send applications by email to Sarah Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
Application method: Please send us your CV and a letter (of no more than two sides) explaining your interest and experiences along with an equal opportunities monitoring form which can be downloaded from the right of this page.
If you would rather submit a video or audio file detailing your CV, skills and experiences, please contact the Theatre Administrator at email@example.com or 0117 902 0345. We do not wish to have any barriers for applying, so please get in touch if you have any concerns.
Interviews: Shortlisted prospective trustees will be invited to meet Sarah and other Trustees in early January, with a view to observing the March board meeting and taking up position from April.
We look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your interest in working for Tobacco Factory Theatres.