A practical training programme in theatre producing
Tobacco Factory Theatres is excited to announce Emerging Producers, our new training programme allowing young people who want to have a career in the industry the chance to further develop their skills and build valuable connections for their future as a producer.
We are now accepting applications for Emerging Producers. We can’t wait to hear from Bristol’s young people who want to take the next creative adventure in their producing career!
What is Emerging Producers?
Emerging Producers starts in September 2019 and will be a group of six young people from Bristol who want to share their love and knowledge of theatre, network with industry professionals, programme new work, and work with Tobacco Factory Theatres and other Bristol based arts organisations to turn their passion into practice and make things happen.
What will I gain from being an Emerging Producer?
- Develop skills in a wide range of areas such as project management, producing, budgeting, marketing, tour booking, public speaking, performing, directing, writing, reviewing and more.
- The chance to select and programme productions for Tobacco Factory Theatres.
- Placement opportunities with arts organisations in the city.
- Exclusive masterclasses with professionals working in the industry.
- The chance to lead on producing events at the theatre, ranging from debates and post show talks to festivals.
- Free tickets to arts events and shows.
- The opportunity to gain an Arts Award qualification.
- Strong connections with industry professionals across the city.
- Written references and support with job applications.
- Credits for your CV.
The Emerging Producers programme at Tobacco Factory Theatres will give a group of 18 – 25 year olds the opportunity to spend a year learning from our producing team as well as theatre and art buffs from across the city. If you’re part of the group, you’ll learn about event planning, marketing, budgeting, programming and theatre producing. You’ll pitch your favourite shows to the rest of the team before programming your choices and taking a lead in running your own festivals and events.
Tobacco Factory Theatres is looking for up to 6 young people to join our graduating Young Producers and be our next Emerging Producers. Join us on this journey and tell us what you really think about theatre, music and culture.
What we are looking for:
- People who can demonstrate an interest and enthusiasm for arts and theatre
- Creative thinkers who are up for trying something new, for getting stuck in and for telling us what you really think
- People who are proactive, confident and self-starting
- People who are committed to this opportunity and to working as part of a team
- Creative people who wish to pursue a career in this work and would benefit from the support we can offer
Who can take part in Emerging Producers?
We want to strengthen our relationship with and improve opportunities for young people from diverse ethnic backgrounds and those who live in certain areas of Bristol.
The Emerging Producers programme is therefore open to anyone aged 18-25 living in Bristol, however we will guarantee an interview for those from a BAME background or from the following areas of Bristol:
- Hartcliffe • Knowle • Filwood • Bishopsworth • Bedminster Down • Withywood
We want to hear from people with a wide range of interests and you must be able to demonstrate a commitment to a career as a Producer to apply. We need future Producers who are up for trying something new, for getting stuck in and for telling us what they really think. You might be a lover of music, street art, dancing, beatboxing, spoken word or politics. Either way, we want to hear from you!
What is the commitment?
Our Emerging Producers will work with us from September 2019 to July 2020 and attend fortnightly meetings on a Monday evening during term time. Throughout the year, they’ll also have access to exclusive masterclasses from industry professionals. They’ll attend important events at Tobacco Factory Theatres, such as Press Nights and Season Launches. They will also need to commit to shadowing opportunities with staff at Tobacco Factory Theatres, covering Producing, Programming, Marketing and Fundraising. Whilst with us, they will also undertake a placement with another arts organisation in the city and be paired with emerging artists to develop their networks and create work.
We ask that everyone commits to the entire length of the scheme and attends all the regular meetings.
Does it cost anything to be an Emerging Producer?
No! In fact, we recognise the commitment and contribution that our Emerging Producers make to the theatre and so we will pay you a small fee for each term that you fully attend. Tobacco Factory Theatres will cover the costs of the theatre trips and all other trips made by the group. Additional financial support is available for those who need it.
How do I apply?
Download the application form and the equal opportunities form from this page.
We also welcome video or audio applications. To do this, please make sure you record yourself answering all of the questions from both forms and send us a compatible file.
Whichever method you choose, please complete both and send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org or you can post the forms to: Tobacco Factory Theatres, Raleigh Road, Southville, Bristol BS3 1TF
Please put ‘Emerging Producers’ in the subject line of your email or on the envelope if posting.
Deadline for applications: Midnight on Sun 23 June.
Applications received after this time will not be considered.
Interviews will take place in the week beginning Mon 08 July and successful candidates will be notified shortly after this.
Thank you to Margaret Guido’s Charitable Trust and The Thistle Trust for supporting Emerging Producers.