COMMUNITY PERFORMANCE CHOIR for Adults
Can you hold a tune? Tobacco Factory Theatres is looking for 45 people, aged 18 and up, from the local area to form a community choir and perform on our stage!
Over the course of ten weeks, you will come together to meet weekly as a community choir; attend fun and friendly singing workshops and develop your skills through a wide-ranging repertoire of a capella songs from across the world and throughout the decades! Working with an experienced Musical Director, as well as our Artistic Director Mike Tweddle, the community choir will prepare a selection of songs from the 60’s and 90’s before joining the rehearsals of a major in-house production and performing in the Factory Theatre in October 2018.
DURING THE PROJECT YOU WILL
- Discover the joy of singing and the excitement of performing on stage.
- Attend a course of fun, vibrant weekly singing workshops between May – July 2018.
- Join production rehearsals in September 2018 and perform in a major in-house production in October 2018.
- Learn an eclectic range of a capella songs, ranging from World music to Musicals to Pop!
- Go on a shared adventure, culminating in an unforgettable experience.
- Build lasting connections with other people
WHO IS IT FOR
- Anyone can apply – whether you’ve sung in choirs all your life or have only ever sung in the shower!
- Singers with professional training, or who are currently training, are kindly asked not to apply.
- We welcome adults of all ages (18+), all identities and backgrounds.
- We will learn all our songs by ear, so there’s no need to read music (although it will be available to those who would like it).
- A balance of sopranos, altos, tenors and basses.
- People who live in Bristol and the South West region, including South Wales.
- There is no traditional audition however you will be invited to attend a taster workshop. During the taster workshop we will learn a selection of short songs from around the world, we’ll be singing as a group the whole time, no solos necessary!
- We are expecting a high level of interest therefore there will be a shortlisting process following the taster workshops.
As well as recruiting via an open call out we will be working closely with community organisations, including The Park Community Centre in Knowle, to refer people directly to the project.
DO I NEED TO PAY?
We ask those who can afford to, to contribute £60 towards the course. We will offer places free of charge to those who are on a low income.
The overall project runs from May – October 2018.
- Workshops are every Wednesday 7.30pm – 9.15pm from Wed 23 May 2018 to Wed 27 July 2018 in South Bristol, venue tbc.
- You will be expected to attend all 10 weekly sessions. We will break for August.
- We will resume a weekly workshop for Wed 05 and Wed 12 September.You will need to attend up to four full day rehearsals at Tobacco Factory Theatres, dates tbc. The choir will then split in two with each choir performing in a total of 10 performances at Tobacco Factory Theatres during October.
HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE AND APPLY?
For more information please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in applying, please fill in the application form and send it along with an equal opportunities form to email@example.com with GET SINGING in the subject line. The deadline for applications is Tue 20 March at midnight. You can download both forms from the News and Blogs section or the Get Involved section of tobaccofactorytheatres.com or pick one up from our Box Office.
We will hold taster sessions in early April. We hope to invite everyone to attend a taster workshop, however as we cannot predict the number of applications we’ll receive there may be a shortlisting process prior to and after the taster workshops.
Posted on 20 February 2018
- Get Singing Application Form